Attendance & Absence Procedures
If there are any problems or concerns which affect a child’s attendance at school, parents and carers should contact the Attendance Team by calling 01274 779662 and selecting option 2.
Children who attend 100% are 5 times more likely to work at, or above, the expected standard.
Being on time for the start of the academy day
- Our school doors open at 8:00am
- All students should arrive on the academy site by 8:25am
- All students should be at their first lesson and ready to learn by 8:30am
- Should your child be too ill to attend the academy, please contact us on the first day of absence before X.XXam on XXXX XXX XXXX. Please keep us informed of your child’s progress.
- If you expect your child to be absent, please send in evidence of medication prescribed by your doctor or hospital.
- If your child is to be off for 3 days or more (or where we have concerns for the child’s attendance) we will require a medical certificate from your GP or a stamped academy medical card stating your child is too ill to attend school. Medical cards can be obtained from the Attendance Team.
- Telephone calls are made to every parent/carer of a student who is absent from the academy each morning. If we cannot make contact, a text message will be sent. A possible follow up home visit may be made.
Please note that medical appointments are still absences.
Medical appointments will affect your child’s attendance percentage if taken during school hours.
Every effort should be made to arrange appointments outside of school hours. We do appreciate that on occasion this will be unavoidable.
Students should attend school before and after their appointment. Most appointments do not justify a full day’s absence from school.
Whilst the academy embraces all faiths and cultures we also recognise the importance of education. Wherever possible we will try and accommodate all religious celebrations within our use of the flexible working day and prayer rooms. However, as with all leave of absence requests, these must be applied for in advance to the Principal. Absence without authorisation on these occasions may result in legal action.
Holiday leave in term time
We close for 70 days of holidays each academic year and we expect all parents/carers to take their family holidays whilst the academy is closed. If you’re wanting to take their child on a leave of absence from the academy, you should inform the Principal in writing, giving at least 10 days notice. The application will be looked at on an individual basis and you will be informed by letter of the outcome. However, it is highly unusual to grant a leave of absence during term time. Any holiday or leave taken without permission from the Principal will be unauthorised and legal action will be sought from the Local Authority.
The academy works with students and their parents/carers when we have a concern over attendance. Persistent absence is when:
- a student has below XX% attendance
- a student has X days absence or X sessions (half days) in a 30 day period
Where we have concerns about your child’s attendance, you will be asked to attend a meeting with the Attendance Manager, LPSO or the Principal.
Penalty Notice Warnings are issued to parents/carers after 5 sessions of unauthorised absence